Monday, January 22, 2007

Where oh where will my little games be?

It is unfortunate that the monopolies known as DirecTV and Comcast cannot get along and allow the general public the opportunity to decide which format they want to receive their TV viewing from.

With the recent discussion of DirecTV offering Major League Baseball a cool $100 million per year for 7 years for the exclusive rights to show the Extra Innings package (approximately 1200 games), compared to the $70 million offered by inDemand, as reported by the Sports Business Journal, how will I get my fill of the great game?

Since 2002 when Comcast's inDemand worked out an agreement to allow cable subscribers the access to the Extra Innings package, several baseball fans have been able to watch their favorite teams on a daily basis. Being a Comcast subscriber, I was ecstatic when this option was available and definitely took advantage of its services.

So I am sure you are all thinking that I am completely disheartened today and pondering switching to the dish. That has not even crossed my mind. Actually, I am excited that it will make my decision easier to convert to mlb.tv. Since I live in the Pacific NW and a chunk of the games begin prior to my arrival home from work, I miss out on a good deal of East Coast action. With mlb.tv, I will now be able to log on as I am winding down my day and catch the beginning of the early games. Upon arrival home, I will log on to the laptop, load up the games, and enjoy them from the luxury of my back deck.

So, those of you that are completely disgruntled with this most probable move by Major League Baseball, find a positive in it and make it work for you.

1 comment:

John said...

As long as the radio broadcast is FREE...I am going old school!! (you know I watch almost every Twins game though---and I do indeed enjoy mlb.com at work!! *L*)