Monday, April 02, 2007

The Voice I Grew Up With

Twins Nation supporters as well as colleagues were saddened to hear the news when they awoke Sunday of the passing of Twins legendary play by play announcer Herb Carneal. Herb has been the "Voice of the Twins" since joining the organization in 1962. His smooth voice and picturesque descriptions of the great game are some of my earliest memories from baseball. My grandfather was a huge Twins fan and always had the game on the radio whenever I visited. My father was also a fan of baseball and the Twins and during the summer while at the lakes, always had Herb and the Boys of Summer on in the background. Myself, probably the biggest fan of the game and of the Twins would fall asleep each night as a boy in the 1970's with my radio on listening to the Twins and Herb.

This is the third season in a row that us Twins Nation Fans have lost a prominent member of our history. 2005 saw the passing of PA Announcer Bob Casey. 2006 we lost Hall of Famer and great man Kirby Puckett and now just one day before the start of the 2007 season our voice, Herb Carneal. They say things happen in threes so I guess the Twins suite is now full.

Kick back and enjoy the games Herb and thanks for all the memories you have given to us Twins Nation supporters over the last 45 years.

No comments: